Go Back   Anglerschat > Freshwater Fishing > Panfish/Crappie

Old 04-03-05, 10:15 AM
afisherofmen Offline

afisherofmen
parasites in crappie

i was wondering i caught 2 big female crappie and while i was washing the meat off some kind of tiny white leach like worms crawled onto my hand i know they werent maggots does anyone know if they r bad for you i threw the fillets away any help would be appreciated
Old 04-06-05, 03:18 PM
Illinoisgiller Offline

Illinoisgiller
afisherofmen-- Sorry for the late reply, I had a bear of a time getting logged in. Sorry also to hear you discarded the crappie fillets. The white worm like things you encountered were likely the ones we call the yellow grub. ( when they are imbedded in the meat they form a coating that looks like a yellow ball) In reality it is a white worm rolled up into a ball. It is getting to be a rather common parasite with a complex lifecycle involving water birds, snails and fish. It is more common in bluegill. I have also found a few in the water from washing bluegill fillets. The wife carefully goes over every fillet and a sharp knife tip will quickly remove the imbedded ones . The fisheries bioligest sp? claim that there is no problem eating them when cooked. I have probably eaten thousands of them before I filleted ALL fish . But- - as I often say on the subject, "Now that I know, Out they go" ha ha Wish you tight lines, Mike
Old 04-15-05, 02:47 PM
Deerqueen Offline

Deerqueen
Exclamation Now that you mention it...

I bet I have too. We do not find them in KY lake so much as in Old Hickory Lake here where they are flicked out with the end of a filet knife. Old Hickory is a much dirtier lake!

Old 06-13-09, 08:03 PM
j2thapat Offline

j2thapat is on a distinguished road
Re: parasites in crappie

Here In Texas We Feed That To The Cats.they Are A Parasite That Burrows In The Meat And If You Cut Them Out They Will Crawl Around ,a Parasite Is A Parasite
Old 07-04-09, 12:48 PM
eyecee Offline

eyecee is on a distinguished road

I have found them most often in the fish from waters that weren't so clean or fresh in Oklahoma or the South. The way things have changed since I was young and you could eat anything fresh, I now discard anything that is contaminated. It's sad, but, too many things have mutated or just went weird the last few years for me to trust a parasite. Crappie is still one of the best fish to eat though and a lot of fun to catch. At least that hasn't changed.
Old 06-09-12, 10:53 AM
riverrat2 Offline

riverrat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afisherofmen View Post
i was wondering i caught 2 big female crappie and while i was washing the meat off some kind of tiny white leach like worms crawled onto my hand i know they werent maggots does anyone know if they r bad for you i threw the fillets away any help would be appreciated
ALL WORMS,PARASITES-WILL be killed if frozen @0` for 24hr.or more.i have checked this out,because
i pickle herring[this doesnot kill parasites]and i love my pickled herring,tapeworm is the only one i know
of that the stomach will not kill,but freezing 0` will
HOPE THIS HELPS

RAT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: